“We like to cook with wine and sometimes put it in the food too…”. Many of you have visited our winery and enjoyed some of the fantastic food and wine pairings. Not all of the chefs will hand over their secrets but here are a few that have shared their creations.
Malaysian Style Braised Pork on Grilled Naan Bread (compliments of Chef J. Mark Hand)
Lemon Basil Grilled Shrimp
Eggplant Cannelloni with Coyote's Run 2005 Meritage
Maple Glazed Pork Loin with Coyote's Run 2006 Unoaked Chardonnay
Malaysian Style Braised Pork on Grilled Naan Bread - from chef J. Mark Hand
Wine pairing - 2007 Riesling Icewine
- 2 Lt. coconut milk
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder cut into 2 cm x 5.5 cm pieces
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 pc lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 4 cm ginger
- 5 dried chillies
- 7 red chillies
- 25 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 black peppercorns
- 3 tbsp. coriander
- 1 tsp cumin and fennel toasted
Optional: apples, raisins, potatoes, celery, chick peas – this recipe is easy to personalize. We used these ingredients in our pairing at Coyote’s Run.
- Blend the Rempah in a blender until smooth.
- In a hot pot add pork, onions, salt, sugar, lime leaves and Rempah. Roast until aromatic.
- Add half the coconut milk – deglaze. Add remaining coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and very little gravy remains.
- Brush Nan bread with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin - grill and serve with the pork.
Lemon Basil Grilled Shrimp
- 12-18 large tiger shrimp, peeled and de-veined (I leave the tail on)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces melted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 lemon, juice of, depending how lemony you like it, a medium or large lemon
- white pepper
- Place all the ingredients, except the prawns, in a shallow dish and mix well, taste or you want to add more mustard.
- Add the prawns and toss to coat, cover, refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the prawns from the marinade and thread on skewers.
- Cook over medium coals for 2-3 minutes on each side, basting with any remaining marinade from time to time.
- Serve immediately
Pair with Coyote's Run 2005 Meritage
- Drizzle olive oil over 2 baby eggplants (sliced 1/4" rounds) and roast until both sides are golden brown. Chop finely.
- Saute 1 medium onion and 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil until soft
- Combine the minced eggplant, onion, garlic with 2&1/4 cups of grated asiago cheese
- Add a few leaves of fresh basil, salt & pepper to the mixture.
- Stuff mixture into cannelloni tubes (filling is enough for 12 - 14 tubes), cover with your favourite tomato sauce and bake at 350 degrees. It should take approximately 20 minutes if you use fresh or cooked pasta, about 45 minutes if you use the oven-ready noodles (make sure you cover the pan with foil if you use this type).
- A couple of options: add some sauteed mushrooms or chopped spinach to the mixture
Maple Glazed Pork Loin
Pair with Coyote's Run 2006 Unoaked Chardonnay
- Stir together 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup of maple syrup , 1 Tbsp of cornstarch, and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Marinade a 5 lb pork loin roast with this mixture for 2 hours
- Roast at 350 degrees for 1 hour covered, then remove the lid and continue roasting until brown. Internal temp should be 150 degrees.